Datei:John Arnold Plymouth No. 160 Zifferblattseite.jpg
John Arnold Plymouth No. 160 Zifferblattseite.
A rare early duplex watch by John Arnold in gold pair cases. Full plate fire gilt fusee movement with Harrison's maintaining power, signed gilt dust cover. Pierced and engraved masked cock with diamond endstone, silver regulator disc. Plain three arm gilt balance, blue steel spiral hairspring. Duplex escapement, brass wheel with jewelled locking stone. Purpose made white enamel dial with Roman and Arabic numerals, fine gold hands. Matching purpose made gold pair cases hallmarked London 1796 maker's mark "IP". Signed John Arnold - Plymo Dock – 160, Circa 1768, Diameter 57 mm
A historically important piece. It is one of the earliest surviving pieces by John Arnold and the only example at the address of Plymouth Docks. The movement was fitted with a new dial and case in 1796. It is suggested that it was also converted from cylinder to duplex but this would have required a new lower balance cock. See 100 Years of Precision Timekeepers from John Arnold to Arnold and Frodsham 1763 - 1862 by Hans Staeger pages 40 and 41 where this watch is fully illustrated and described.
Please note that all content, text and images on this site are the copyright of Pieces of Time. However you may use any of the images or text (unless it displays a copyright notice of another individual or company ) with the following restrictions:
- Pieces of Time is acknowledged in a form similar to "reproduced by kind permission of Pieces of Time".
- In the case of a commercial venture our address and URL must also be included in an appropriate place.
- If you are publishing on the Internet please feel free to include a link(s) to any text page on our site without the need to include an acknowledement.
- We would of course be grateful if you would inform us that you have used our material but this is not a requirement. If you are considering publishing a traditional paper document we may be able to supply images of resolution suitable for that medium.
Klicke auf einen Zeitpunkt, um diese Version zu laden.
|aktuell||16:35, 23. Jun. 2010||450 × 598 (38 KB)||Andriessen||John Arnold Plymouth No. 160 Zifferblattseite. A rare early duplex watch by John Arnold in gold pair cases. Full plate fire gilt fusee movement with Harrison's maintaining power, signed gilt dust cover. Pierced and engraved masked cock with diamond endst|
- Diese Datei mit einem externen Programm bearbeiten (weitere Informationen in den Installationsanweisungen)